Monday, January 10, 2011

Learning without Frontiers - Iris Lapinski - Apps for Good

Iris Lapinski - Apps for Good

Why is it that 70% of countries fail to improve their education systems?

Is it because in the real world, problems are complex and context specific? School systems, however, teach children how to recognise standard problems and we provide them with a "Swiss Army knife" set of tools to solve the standard problems. This is important and useful, but does it meet "real world" demands? To prepare children we could teach them to define the problem, research the issue, {missed number three - DM}, design solutions, then build and test.

Examples of the Apps for Good approach were then presented by the students who developed the apps. One was OysterCheck. Next (presented by a fantastically enthusiastic 13 year old) presented BuzzerBuddies which reminds you why you want to wake up when an alarm is set but it also sends a push notice to a friend to tell them you have hit the snooze button so they know you will be late and they can nark you as well as the alarm!

The Apps For Good people are connected to an expert community who help evaluate and develop students apps.

They are using previous students from the course as tutors on subsequent courses. Iris was asked how young she thought this approach can go and answered, "I don't know." but is keen to try younger than 13.

18 comments:

MtomSEO said...

Found this on MSN and I’m happy I did. Well written article. iphone screenshot mockup

MtomSEO said...

I got what you intend, thanks for putting up. Woh I am glad to find this website through google. app store mock up

Stream Line said...

Useful information. Fortunate me I discovered your web site by chance, and I’m surprised why this twist of fate didn’t happened earlier! I bookmarked it. free imac mockup

sdexter said...

As I website possessor I think the articles here is very wonderful, regards for your efforts. imac mockup psd

khanabaaz said...

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike. desktop mockup

James jones said...

I adore your wp web template, wherever would you obtain it through? imac mockup psd

Unknown said...

I’m agitated all these article directories. It sure would be nice to have every article directory that instantly accepts articles. imac mockup

jhon said...

I am impressed with this site, really I am a fan . imac template

khanabaaz said...

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate? apple watch template

Stream Line said...

Finding the Right Immigration Solicitor… [...]below you’ll find the link to some sites that we think you should visit[...]… apple watch sketch

Stream Line said...

Absolutely pent subject matter, appreciate it for selective information . mobile app development companies

Stream Line said...

Wow, incredible blog format! How lengthy have you been blogging for? you make running a blog glance easy. The full glance of your site is fantastic, as smartly the content material! app developers

Stream Line said...

I recently noticed your website back i are generally looking through which on a daily basis. You’ve got a loads of information at this site so i actually like your look to the web a tad too. Maintain the best show results! best app design companies

Unknown said...

I likewise conceive thus, perfectly written post! . top web design agencies

khanabaaz said...

Hmm, I never thought about it that way. I do see your point but I think many will disagree web design company

khanabaaz said...

Quit smoking benefits… If we see you smoking we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action…. web design company

Walkeaz said...

I have been reading out some of your articles and i must say nice stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog. user experience design

khanabaaz said...

I’m not sure exactly why but this web site is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists. user experience design