Friday, December 21, 2012

Computer News

My friend Mags told me ages ago that she had started a weekly computer news spot with her classes and that the pupils enjoyed it so much that they started creating their own news spots when Mags didn't have time to prepare them herself. I always liked the idea, so I stole it... and I've been delivering a weekly news spot to my senior classes all this year.

Each week, I have put together a four slide presentation on an item of news that caught my eye, and after I've shown it to my classes, I've been printing it out and posting the pages on the wall outside my classroom. I was pleased one day to overhear a second year pupils saying to his neighbour that he'd forgotten to read the computer news.

For some time though, I've been meaning to publish the presentations online... And at last, I got around to doing so:


If you click on the Options icon (looks like a little cogwheel) and choose "Open speaker notes" you will be able to see more information about the topic.

I made the mistake, at first, of starting the lesson with the computer news but I found it was getting longer and longer each week as the pupils realised they could keep me going for ages by asking questions and making comments. So now, I end the lesson with it instead!

So far, it seems to be going well. I enjoy picking the topics and putting it together and recently, the pupils have started suggesting topics themselves.

What do you think? A worthwhile exercise or a waste of time for all concerned?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice habit to get them into I think - IT's something where you need to keep yourself up to date and looking at the techy news is a good start.

David said...

It's something I sort of did anyway but it has made me more careful about checking the technology news on a regular basis.

Seems to have helped the pupils too as they have started to come in with their own snippets of technology news and were impressed when something we'd talked about (3D printing) came up in the Strathclyde University Christmas lecture.

Unknown said...

Thanks for making such a cool post which is really very well written.will be referring a lot of friends about this.Keep blogging
"ma in psychology distance learning
industrial safety course in kolkata
bioinformatics distance learning
safety diploma
distance education learning"