Thursday, January 21, 2010

I hate marking!

While I fully understand the importance of assessment and how valuable it is in learning, simply knowing this doesn't make the process of marking any more pleasant.


Free Manure
Originally uploaded by slimmer_jimmer
Right now, I am knee deep in a pile of 3,500 word essays. Perhaps I'm getting punchy, I'm definitely getting tired, but I find myself grasping at any passing straw to make the process less painful. A recent exchange described by a History student will show you what I mean.

The student was introducing a topic on the Norman Conquests. Apparently (and I didn't know this) one of the reasons the Normans won was because they brought horses with them and therefore had a very effective cavalry. The student wanted the pupils to appreciate what a feat this was and to see just how difficult it would be to transport horses in the small ships they used at that time. The student was therefore pleased when a pupil said something like:
"The boat would be full of poo... unless they could train the horses to do it over the side!"
I was very amused by the mental picture this conjured up. I can just see the horses all lined up, with their hind quarters sticking out over the edge of the ship, while a trainer stands in front of them shouting: "Un... deux... trois... Poo!"

As I say, I have to take what small amusements I can as I continue the painful process of marking. :-)

3 comments:

Mosher said...

Simple solution to the marking problem - stop setting us assignments to do! :-p

Christine McIntosh said...

Do you not set, receive and mark them online? Then at least you wouldn't be knee-deep, would you? ;-)

Unknown said...

Your blog is soo help full. i literally enjoyed to read it
"bba distance learning
environmental diploma courses
distance learning graduate courses
msw through distance learning
distance education courses in mumbai
industrial safety course in mumbai
mca in distance education"