Sunday, November 04, 2012

Fun On Friday #152: Movember

Another very late Fun on Friday!

TacheBack - Day 29 by DavidDMuir
TacheBack - Day 29, a photo by DavidDMuir on Flickr.
A few years ago... 2007 to be precise, I took part in what was then called Tacheback. I was surprised to discover that, just by growing a moustache, I managed to raise £270.50. Well, to be more accurate, by growing a moustache and pestering a lot of people until they sponsored me, I managed to raise £270.50!

So, five years later, here I am growing a moustache for charity again. Tacheback has morphed into Movember but otherwise, it's much the same as the last time. I grow a moustache, grow awareness of male cancer charities and try to encourage people to donate money to cancer charities.

It would be good to raise at least £300 but things have changed since I last tried this. First, when I did it in 2007, it was still relatively unknown as an event, so I was the only person I knew who was growing a tache. That meant it was relatively easy to approach people and demand money knowing that they were unlikely to have already donated. By now though, it is much more well known, there's even another teacher in the school who is also growing a Mo for Movember. And, second, I've changed jobs. Last time I had about 600 staff and students I could extort money from. This time I am in a small school and I believe it is frowned uponto extort money with menaces from pupils.

Anyway, I've made a start. Check out:
...And a video of progress so far. (Silent at the moment - what would you suggest for a theme song?)


This time, I'm probably going to have to rely more on Internet chums for donations, so is £300 doable? I hope so. With 200 facebook "friends", over a thousand Twitter followers, and many visitors every day to this blog it's not impossible. If twelve hundred people each donate £0.25, that's £300. More realistically (perhaps) if 60 people donate £5 each, that would be £300 too. Last time though, I only managed 34 donors... so it's going to be tricky.

What do you think? Is £300 possible? Send a donation, and help me on my way.

No comments: